Tuesday, September 23, 2008

99 Days

99 Days til Hendrix is here! (Or less, but I'm not thinking about that option) In my head, I keep humming 99 bottles of beer on the wall.
I've been thinking a lot more about breastfeeding him. I nursed Ivy through thick and thin, while I should have been on my meds instead. Of course, it is easy to look back and judge yourself, but life would have been much easier to take care of myself first, then focus on her needs. Live and learn, I thought.
Well, more and more, I'm thinking that I might just breastfeed while I'm in the hospital recovering from the section. If I keep feeling this great throughout the end days of the pregnancy, I might just give it a whirl.
But, if I feel those icky, depressing, anxious feelings creeping up on me, I hope that I will do what I need to keep all of us nurtured. One day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

99 days, wow!!! Gettubg down to single digits seem like such a milestone!

Ya know, I try to take baby feeding options day by day. I swore I wouldn't breastfeed my child, and my first son latched on and I nursed him (and he never took a bottle!) for 15 months. I had friends who swore they would breastfeed exclusively for 2 years or whatever, and ended up formula feeding at 3 months. With my second son, I thought I'd probably have a similar experience as my first, however thrush came and was so painful that I ended up supplementing with one formula bottle a day starting at 6 months. Through it all, I'm learning that as long as I love my babe, it doesn't matter how I feed it. Yes, breastfeeding is great and I love that I am able to do it, but if you are suffering to breastfeed, then where is the good in that? Half and half can be equally fulfilling, as well as exclusive formula feeding. The only things babes need from us is love, and it doesn't matter how they get their meals really. So I think it is a great approach to just take it as it comes. Either way your babe will eat, and either way he will be loved. What more does he need?