Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A pleading letter

Dear pretty lady at Borders yesterday and the cute teens in the grocery today,

You have no idea how awful I felt after encountering you in public recently. I am hoping to give you the benefit of the doubt, so I am writing this pleading, educational letter to clue you in to some thing that you did that you might not view as rude and far reaching as it was/is.

In shortened terms, you stink. Not in a b.o. type of way, but in the perfume-y type of way. Lady at Borders, I had to stand 2 people lengths away from you to breathe without coughing and having my eyes water. Then I had to get out of line all together. Girls, all you did was pass by me in the aisles.

Yes, I am sensitive to smells. Yes, I am allergic to most everything and can't even walk down the laundry aisle or walk into a department store without holding my breath. This is not your problem, but mine.

Please, in the future, please think about those of us who cannot help our asthma. Little did you know that when I smell these smells, especially while pregnant, I panic. Almost full on panic because I am in danger and so is my pregnancy through no fault of my own. My sense of scent is overly active. My doctors tell me to avoid my steroid inhaler at all costs besides dying of oxygen deprivation on the floor. After my encounters with you, I have to remain calm and take stock of my breathing situation which is already sketchy at best while pregnant. Do I need to go outside? Do I need to call someone to drive me to the er? Can I drive myself to the er? Or, am I doing ok?

Lastly, you are all beautiful without your scent. Save it for your hubby or boyfriends in the privacy of your homes. It will save you some money and could possibly save even more.

Thanks for listening,

Karianne
asthmatic, allergic mother to 2 and then some

4 comments:

KrayonKel said...

Wow! We have found something else we have in common!!! I TOTALLY get migraines from smells. Certain flowers, certain dog and animal smells, cigarette smoke, and perfumes!

We are sisters from another mister. :)

Alexy said...

I am not asmatic, but I hate it when people have so much on that I have to bend over and consentrate on breating to catch my breath. What's wrong with a small dab of essintial oil and that's it. Soft and smooth, not a hammer to the head wave of smell.

writex3 said...

Oh, isn't perfume the worst...especially while pregnant?! I just hate perfume and those wearing it abundance, too!

Hang in there! I'm sure you've become a very skilled mouth-breather over the past weeks!

Pretty Momma said...

I had no idea you were asthmatic! How scary, especially while pregnant. :( *hugs*